Join The Serenity Channel’s Online Community:

1. Read the posts and add your comments - At the bottom of each post click the orange link to read and post comments.
2. Record an audio post - Call us and share, just like at a meeting and create your own podcast.
- Call 800 749-0632 (available 24 hours a day)
- Enter channel ID 12127#, enter channel password 6365#, then enter 1 to CREATE NEW EPISODE
- Record your message (limit 10 minutes, please)
OPTIONAL: At the start of your message, tell us your first name and your program (if you're working one). NOTE: You must have Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, QuickTime or iTunes installed on your PC to listen to the podcasts (mp3 files).
3. Become an Author - Post to an exisiting blog group or start a new blog group. Send requests to: info@theserenitychannel.com

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Co-Dependence and Boundaries

This is a posting from Jenn Z. that almost got left behind in our move - it is a wonderful commentary on boundaries and should be required reading for all of us struggling with co-dependency...

For me my co dependency revolves around my lack of boundaries. Without my boundaries I don’t know what I need or what I want and therefore cannot ask for what I need or want and set boundaries. If I had boundaries to begin with, perhaps I would have more clarity about what I need and what I want. I have always allowed the environment, outcomes, other people and anticipated reactions of other people dictate my boundaries and to dictate what I need and what I want. Ultimately what I needed was a safe, secure, predictable environment. I have always looked outside of myself for this security, rather than looking inward to give it to myself. It has only since getting into recovery that I have discovered my security does not lie outside of myself. Rather, it lies within me through my relationship with my higher power. I have to establish, build, and maintain my own security by looking inward.

My disease gets out of whack when I am not working on my boundaries and thinking about them. When I am looking into other people’s lives and what they are doing or should be doing as I see it, I am clearly lacking boundaries because I have entered, uninvited into someone else’s life. I loose sight of where I end and another person begins. This was my starting my place: where I start and where another person begins. It has been only through visualization have I been able to be successful in determining my boundaries. I had to visualize physical space, spiritual space, mental/emotional space to determine exactly where I ended and another person began. Sometimes it gets complicated with some intricacies within my primary relationships to visualize the boundaries. When I begin to feel anxious, frustrated, scared, lost, or physically unwell and am able to recognize it, that’s when I know I need to spend sometime looking inward at myself and analyzing my boundaries to determine what I need and what I want to take care of myself. It’s all in me. It’s not in the environment. It’s not in another person. It’s not in the possible outcomes I have contrived in my head. It’s in me and it’s in God because God is in me.

1 comment:

lifeisgood said...

I have never thought to use visualization to set my own boundaries. Thanks for sharing that.
I have a friend that is completely out of control, i.e. negative, draws bad stuff in, always talks about all of her illnesses. So rather than tell her how I feel and set my boundaries with her, I avoid her. I just don't want anymore drama in my life.
I can't figure out if I am afraid of her reaction or if I just don't want to deal with her reaction? Maybe both?
My desire as a codependent is to set healthy boundaries that are not set out of anger...
She is calling constantly as I am not calling her back...I need to deal with her.
Anyway I'll do some visualizatins and call her. It is not my issue. Why do I still take responsibility for someone else's feelings?